Sunday, March 4, 2007

Our Man In Cáceres

Below is the article I wrote for the February 2007 issue of Impact Magazine (University of Nottingham official student publication). It's about the first part of my year abroad that I spent in Spain, so enjoy:

“Are you the drunken English boy that fell asleep in the Town Square?”

Having just been introduced to Leif (from Berlin) by one of my German housemates, I realise that he has already been briefed on my perpetual party animal status, and he has no qualms about reminding me of the most embarrassing thing that has happened to me in my two and half months in the western Spanish city of Cáceres.

“Well, actually it was in front of the Cathedral, but that’s a minor detail.” I reply coyly, trying to use the good old British wit to diffuse the situation – how long is it before I move on to football to change the subject?

Okay, I know that drunkenly falling asleep anywhere in public isn’t good, but the fact that I could do so happily in this undiscovered cultural treasure-chest of a city suggests to me that I have found a place where I can feel at home. Despite a run-in with a few snap-happy Germans who took much delight in my drunken plight (Schadenfreude, anyone?) I made it home OK and by the time I had sobered up in the morning, I had begun to regret my actions that if nothing else, served only to confirm so many pre-conceptions about the English abroad. I hang my head in shame.

Nonetheless, the experiences I have had in my short time here as an ERASMUS student, studying at the University of Extremadura will be some of my fondest memories in years to come. The setting of such a beautiful city (which is set to be the European City of Culture for 2016), complete with Castle and Monumental district as well as flourishing new developments, has been a fantastic stage on which to play out the first act of my foreign adventure.

The language can be a barrier at times, especially when spoken in the local accent, but once you’ve been here long enough, speaking and understanding become a whole lot easier. The locals are very welcoming and are open to all the foreign customs that my international compatriots and I have brought here, although, I do feel for my housemate Galina, whose name is very similar to the word for chicken. I have even managed to pick up some German whilst here – “Hast du das klopapier gekauft?” (Have you bought the toilet paper) being my favourite phrase so far.

All in all, the experience so far has been incredible, and I only hope the rest of the trip can meet the very high standards that have already been set.

This is Andrew Kaufman, from Cáceres, signing off.

No comments: